There are curious accounts about Maduwanwela Maha Disawe (the provincial ruler of Maduwanwela) We Sri Lankans are fortunate to have such a mansion which tells us the glorious life style of majestic ruler. This place is an ideal source of information for archaeological explores. Maduwanwela Walawwa is a Walawwa located in upper South of Sri Lanka. Situated in the town Kolonne which lies between Embilipitiya and Suriyakanda in Ratnapura District, in a distance of 207 kilometers from the capital, Colombo.
The Maduwanwela Walawwa was first built by Maduwanwela Maha Mohottala in the 1700s and it was expanded at times by the Maduwanwela family until 1905 when the final expansion was done by Maduwanwela Maha Disawe. At its height it had over 121 rooms and 80 000 acres of land surrounding it, at present there are on 47 rooms left. Located on in the grounds is a courthouse with seating space for 100 people, furniture and the equipment used for punishments are still present. Following the death of Maduwanwela Maha Disawe the last of the Maduwanwela family, the house was passed to Sir Francis Molamure. In 1974, it was transferred to the state and taken over by the Department of Archaeological and converted into a museum.